Home About IdeasShop!Submit IdeaAdvertise Advertise

8.12.2009

The Melting Pot

The idea behind this date night is simple.... it's the details that will take some work.

The Idea: Make your own Melting Pot Restaurant. Eating there is very expensive. When recreating at home, it can be done very cheaply!


The Details

Invitation:

"I'm so "fondue" of you...join me this evening for a romantic fondue for two."
"You make me melt...join me this evening for a romantic fondue for two."
"If your love for me is true, then join me for fondue..."

Supplies:

  • 2-3 fondue pots (or mini-crockpots) - (borrow from friends...OR ask a newlywed couple, they surely got 5 for their wedding)
  • A nice table setting complete with candlelight (I'm talking cloth napkins, a table cloth, wine glasses, etc.)

Food:

I like to have three options, but you can simplify or expand depending on your preference. There are SO many different recipes. I'll leave that up to you. Google it.

Oil/Broth Fondue - Dipping foods: meatballs, prepare cubed meats, shrimp, scallops, vegetables, potato chunks, mozzarella sticks, (cocktail, horseradish and teriyaki sauces for dipping).

Cheese Fondue - Dipping foods: cubed french/italian bread, florets of broccoli and cauliflower, bite-sized cooked chicken, bite-size cooked ham, roasted potatoes,

Chocolate Fondue - Dipping foods: strawberries, bananas, peaches, pineapple, mango, apples, cherries, angel food cake, pound cake, cheesecake, cookies, marshmallows, pretzels
{for my chocolate fondue, I like to melt milk chocolate chips with some vegetable oil (1-2 tablespoons) to get to the consistency I like. really easy.}

Romance Helps:

  • Feed Each Other - (with the skewer, your fingers...or, your mouth...) ooh..this could get a little seductive!
  • Take turns blindfolding each other while feeding each other... Create suspense when possible.

Desiree, one of my readers, submitted this photo of the Fondue Night she put together for her hubby. Thanks, Desiree!

If you have a "Fondue Night" photo to submit, please email to ccloveactually AT gmail DOT com.

16 comments:

Melody said...

Ha ha! I did get a fondue pot for my wedding and I haven't used it the whole 10 years. What a shame! This does look like a really fun night. I could get into this! Thanks for the cute ideas!

Unknown said...

Cute idea! I love The Melting Pot!

Kimberly said...

LOL! Fondue of you. Romance is cheesy isn't it? I love it. Hubs and I get cheesy all the time, his co workers often look at him strangely when I've left him romance in his lunch box, but he adores it.

We did something similar to this one night after the kids went to bed, only we used strawberries and dipped them into sour cream and brown sugar. Toasted each other with champaigne kisses. It was fun! I wholeheartedly believe that romance is a great foundation for any relationship. As long as you can laugh at yourself...=)

Unknown said...

Oh that looks and sounds so tasty!! What a great idea. Stopping by from SITS to say hi!

Anonymous said...

Cher, I love this idea & can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I think I'll have to do a fondue night very soon!

Stopping by from SITS!

Cook Family said...

Fabulous idea--I can't wait to do this date! Tonight we are doing your idea of "romantic picnic at the park"! Thank you for this blog-- I NEEDED help with ideas, thank you for being my answer:)!

Jen McCrady said...

love it! we're actually going to melting pot on sunday for my birthday (it's tradition!)

how funny! :)

Rebecca is Thrilled by the Thought said...

We still haven't opened our fondue pot we received for our wedding 4 1/2 years ago! I wonder if it works....

High Heels and Huntin' Boots said...

Yummo! I love fondue! We used to have a fondue pot, but I'm not sure where it is exactly...hhmm.

Rhiannon Bosse said...

gosh the melting pot is so darn expensive so this could be good! perhaps I shall put a pot on my gift registry for next year :) Thanks Cher for sharing!

Mandy said...

My husband's birthday is in two days and I've had NO IDEAS on what to do for him. We do have one of these makers and I think I will use it with some cheeses and other spreads. Thanks for the ideas! I'm so glad I found your site through some blog hopping I did. I love it and believe it's important to keep the love and romance alive and well!

Nursemom said...

I just found a recipe for pizza fondue that you dip breasticks in if you're worried about the cheese fondue coming out right. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the idea. http://busycooks.about.com/od/meatlessentreerecipes/r/mildcheesefondu.htm

thepascuas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Rent a limousine. Propose to her in the limo thomas sabo shop
on the way to or from your special evening. thomas sabo anhänger günstig
Be sure to bring champagne or sparkling thomas sabo engelsflügel
cider to celebrate.Rent your favorite romantic movie. Make it special with homemade popcorn and her favorite movie treat. thomas sabo schmuck
Tell her you want your own happy ending by thomas sabo
proposing as the credits roll at the end.Give her three roses: angebote thomas sabo armbänder
Tell her one represents the past, one represents the present kette thomas sabo
and the last one (with the ring tied to it) represents the future. thomas sabo schmuck günstig
It is estimated that 110 million roses will be angebote thomas sabo ohrschmuck
sold for Valentine’s Day so be sure to order your angebote thomas sabo
roses early for the prettiest petals.

Mindee said...

Love, love, love this idea! Went out and bought a fondue set tonight and am planning on pulling this off within the next couple of weeks. Now to find an awesome cheese fondue recipe.....

Thank you for all of you wondferful ideas, I think I have them all pinned on Pinterest!