Home About IdeasShop!Submit IdeaAdvertise Advertise

4.16.2009

Starving Students: How to Score an "A" in Romance 101

This post is meant especially for those starving students...and I don't mean that in a derogatory way....trust me, I still am one! (well, my hubby is anyway). I chose to do this post this week because he is in the middle of a huge dental school test block---it makes for a stressful week!

I know what it's like being seperated by the stresses of school, part-time jobs, extracurricular activites, study groups.... and not having a lot of time to celebrate each other, your accomplishments, and your new relationship!

I tried as often as possible to use those stresses as a time to celebrate.
Here are a few ideas to keep your love growing for couples in school together or for those of you wives who still have husbands in school.
  • When my hubs was preparing for the DAT (dental school admission exam), I left him a note on the door each day for a week leading up to the exam day. (He was studying hardcore each day that week on campus). These were just simple little print-outs with a clip-art image and an encouraging thought.
    Day One: "Blast Off! You're gonna ROCK the DAT!" - image of rocket
    Day Two: "You're my star, baby! Good Luck on the DAT!" - image of star
    Day Three: "You're gonna BULLDOZE right over the DAT, babe!" - image of bulldozer
    Day Four: 'I know you can.. I know you can.. I know you can smoke that DAT... [kinda like the little train that could]" - image of a smoking train engine
    Day Five: "You're so beary smart and I am beary proud of you! Ace the test, hunny!" - image of clipart bear
    Day Six: "Shred that test to pieces! GOOD LUCK! I love you always." - image of shredder
    After he got home from the test: "Don't be crabby! A red face and crampy hands don't mean a thing cuz you're DONE!" - image of a red crab

    I think my little notes worked because he did ace the DAT and was accepted to dental school. Without those notes, who KNOWS where we'd be... :)
  • On his first Exam Block of dental school, I put some cutsie little notes and goodies in his backpack each day which he discovered once he got to school.
    * No matter what grade they give you, you'll always be an A+ in my gradebook!
    * I know you're beat, so here's a treat!
    * You're still my star! Good luck on your test today. When you come home, expect a super relaxing massage! (with starbursts)
    * You're on a roll...You're almost done. Soon it's time to have some fun! (with tootside rolls) *I know you're working hard and soon you'll be making 100 Grand (with 100 Grand bar)
    *Don't worry, you're no Dum-Dum--you're going to do great! (with dum-dum sucker)
    *I know you have MOUNDS of studying to do, just wanted you to know that I appreciate all your hardwork! (with MOUNDS candybar)
    *The SKOR on your test doesn't really matter, it's how well you SKOR with me! (with Skor bar)

  • If you are both students, try to meet up once a week for a lunch date (we used to meet at the "CougarEat"....aww, fond memories!)

  • Set up a mini scavenger hunt for your love on campus. Make sure you know their schedule so you know what would be a good time/day to do it. Leave love notes hidden in not-so-obvious areas (but give them really good instructions.) You can make a riddle out of their instructions (and secretly follow them on their search!)

  • Report Card REWARDS aren't just for grade schoolers! Develop an appropriate reward system for when your student brings home the grades!

  • Kissing in the back corner of the library isn't just for the movies! Try it once! You won't regret it...and the memory of trying not to get caught will have you giggling for years!

  • GET OUT of the house. Take advantage of free or inexpensive activities your campus offers--get out and do DIFFERENT things together often. Sitting at home is boring. Going to movies every weekend is boring. There are few memories to be made in doing those things. So...get out!

  • Give your love a little somethin-somethin from time to time.
    “You are one smart cookie” - tag with wrapped cookies
    "Thanks for making my life so bright” - tag with a package of highlighters
    “You are just 'write' for me!” package of nice pencils or pens in a case or container
    “You are gonna rock that test!” tag with pop rocks, rock candy, Rock Star soft drink
    “When you get home, I’m gonna give you a ‘pat’ on the back for doing such a great job!” - tag attached to a gift certificate for a massage

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so fun. I think I might steal this idea for my husband since he's testing for Staff Sergeant next month! I'll probably leave him notes next to his study material since he's not in school at this time. And, of course, a celebratory baked good will be in store when we find out he made it! haha.

There was actually a time when I had a test I was totally stressing over and my husband came home from work in the morning (just before I left to take the test) with a three-foot long stem yellow rose to wish me luck on my test.

Anonymous said...

You always have such great ideas! I wish I was half the wife you are!!

gigi said...

Hi, I poped over from SITS.
You look like you are beating the study blues with some awesome ideas! Keep it up.

Blessings on your weekend!

Krista Neil said...

I can use this idea, my husband is getting ready to take his professional engineering test (PE) and has been study a ton.

Krista Neil said...

Oh, and you can e-mail the encouraging notes too, works great!

Kate said...

Awww these ideas are so so cute! Exam time is coming up really soon for my hubby...I will have to steal some of these ideas for him!

Brittany said...

Thanks for the idea! My husband takes the PCAT in a week!!! He is soo hard on himself and I think this will boost his confidence more than me just saying it to his face every morning. My mom used to do things like this and I love it!