You may have heard of this before...but have you ever gotten the creative guts to make your very own personalized version? This is perfect if you have little or no budget for date night.
I've featured Becca from Happiness is Homemade before...but what can I say, she is brilliant! She created this game for her husband's birthday.
Here's the breakdown of how she did it:
- Made her own board, cards, and money using poster board
- Borrowed the dice, houses, and motels from the real Monopoly Game
- Cut out pictures of their faces for the playing pieces
- Found the Monopoly rules online and cut and pasted them into Word, and then just replaced some of the words to match her game (turned "Jail" into "Doghouse", "Go" into "Home", "Community Chess" into "Family Jewels" and "Chance" into "Get Lucky."
- For the "Family Jewels" cards, she put in expenses from their real life.
Examples: "Time to buy more diapers pay $25" or "Grandma sends a birthday card, you get $30"
- For the "Get Lucky" cards, she put in romantic memories from their love story.
Examples, "Head on over to the Ghost Swing. And while you're over there, share your first kiss." She chose properties that had special memories to them like where they had their first date, where they first held hands, kissed, where he proposed, where they spent their honeymoon, etc.
- Instead of using the four railroads, she did four cruise lines: Passion Pacific, Sweetheart Ship, Cupid's Cruise, and Lover's Line. When making the cards for the properties, she copied the numbers for the values for mortgage, rent, and house prices from real properties in real Monopoly--it just made it easier.
If you need a little more inspiration, go to lovopoly.com where you can plug in your own information and it will generate an image for you.
Fun, right?! Thanks for the idea, Becca!
Do you have pictures of a board game you personalized?! I'd love to use them in a future post. Email to: ccloveactuallyATgmailDOTcom