Home About IdeasShop!Submit IdeaAdvertise Advertise

6.06.2009

Dating...with kids!

So, hubby & I are in New York City for the weekend. I have 3 days off work, so we decided to make a somewhat spontaneous trip south! Wahoo! But, just in case any of you are feeling deprived, here's a little tid-bit for you. I'll call these type of posts, "Words of Wisdom"....
~~~~~~~~~~~
Even with all the support I get for this blog, there are still some who say, "Dating for us is just impossible. We have kids...there's no time to date." While I understand, I'd like to second this quote below:
"When you have kids, it’s easy to make excuses for not being able to find some dating time for yourselves. The realities of having a family leave little money, time, or energy for a date night. But, you can’t let this get in the way of your marriage! Good parenting is about taking care of your children and keeping them safe. But it’s also about being their role model. What we forget is that children are sponges, constantly absorbing the world around them. They observe your priorities and what makes you tick. So their ideas about what a strong marriage is and how to eventually form and manage their own relationships comes directly from the horse’s mouth—you!

One of the most important love lessons you can give your children is the knowledge that their parents absolutely adore one another and want to spend time together. They need to see love in action. Seems enough incentive to start speed-dialing a sitter right now, wouldn’t you say?"

-Lisa Sussman, Redbook’s 500 Great Dates

Amen.


9 comments:

Shari said...

Thank you! We try so hard to make sure we get out, and I tell our almost 3 year old that Mom and Dad are going on a date. My mom gives me a hard time all the time because "We never got to go on dates when you were little". But it's important to us to spend time alone with each other.

Tiffany said...

I agree, finding mommy and daddy time is so important. Thanks for the reminder!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

I don't have any kids but I totally agree with this post :) This could be a whole new category for you Cher! Dates that involve the whole family; now that would be fun! haha enjoy NYC! I am jealous!!

:: ashley :: said...

Your blog is tagged in mine today!

Becca said...

I so agree!! I am a MUCH better mom, when I take time out for my marriage. Date night is a MUST! :)

Unknown said...

No truer words were ever spoken....thanks for reminding us!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time in NYC!

Design It Chic said...

Oh such good advices for the parents! I've always loved this thing about a good friend of mine!
Kudos' to dating with kids!!:)
Happy Sunday!!

Krista Neil said...

It's rough for us too sometimes, and I acutally just read a quote like this and thought man we need to get out more, or at least put some of your ideas into action :)